Tuesday, March 03, 2009

52 cupcakes

or at least that's the goal. Everyone and their cousin has a cupcake blog. I don't know that I'll start a blog, but I'm going to try to do a new flavor every week. This week, I started with ginger bread cup cakes with a lemon filling. Filling done and cooling on the counter, cupcakes baking in the oven. The batter tastes remarkably like the molasses cookies Rick loves. I just wanted to add, I finshed, filled and tasted the cupcakes. I had no idea how yummy lemon & gingerbread could be! Wow!

Baking, any cooking really, relaxes me, I have something to show for it when I'm done. We've been making bread, bagels, pasta, soup from scratch, that's all boring regular eat every day stuff. The cupcakes will be "special" no plain vanilla or boring chocolate, well unless there's a fancy topping or filling.

While making cupcakes today I realized perhaps the measuring stuff I have needs new friends. We have 2 sets of measuring cups, one was Rick's grandma's. They are the old metal ones with the size stamped into the bottom. The other set of cups, pink for the cure, kitchen aid I think. I also have a measuring cup from Crate & Barrel. I think of my aunt every time I use it, she gave us a gift card when we got married and that was one of the things we brought home. I also have a measuring cup from pampered chef. The kind that you can measure peanut butter with and push it right out. I only have one set of measuring spoons, it matches the pink for the cure cups. My bowls need friends too I think. Maybe none of it needs friends, maybe I need to be organized, but in 51 flavors I bet I'll know.

What's your favorite cupcake recipe/flavor? What's your favorite kitchen tool?

3 comments:

shandel said...

My favorite tools...anything Pampered Chef and Tupperware!

My favorite cupcake recipe depends on the mood I'm in. You've met me. You know! LOL!! Of course my first pick is always your carrot cake cupcakes. :-)

My pick of the day isn't really a recipe. It's just what I add to make it special. I put my two "current favorites" down below. Not sure where I got them. They were given to me a long time ago.

I use a basic chocolate cupcake recipe, then add a square of the caramel bars that you buy from the fundraisers. I buy lots of them and freeze them for just this reason! I push it down into the batter then bake.

When they're done baking, I use either chocolate frosting, or I'll use the caramel frosting from Betty Crocker (or duncan hines maybe?)

I'll also use the almond bars sometimes, and then I can use just about any flavored frosting I like.

Here are two really yummy recipes I love!

CHEESECAKE CUPCAKES
What you’ll need:
•1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate wafer crumbs or graham cracker crumbs
•1/4 cup sugar
•1/4 cup melted butter
•3 (8 ounce) packages softened cream cheese
•1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
•2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•3 eggs

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F.
Grease, lightly, 24 cupcake paper cups.
In a bowl, combine the crushed crumbs, butter, and sugar.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy.
Pour in condensed milk and vanilla extract.
Beat in the eggs, blending batter well.
Drop approximately 3 tablespoons of mixture into muffin cups.
Bake 20 minutes or until they spring back with a slight touch.
Let cool well before serving.
*To garnish: You can be very creative, adding sliced strawberries/fudge sauce, chocolate chips, etc.

STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
What you’ll need:
Makes 1 dozen
•2/3 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
•1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
•1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
•1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
•1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
•1 cup sugar
•1 large egg, room temperature
•2 large egg whites, room temperature

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.





STRAWBERRY FROSTING

What you’ll need:
Makes enough for 1 dozen cupcakes
•1/2 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed
•1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
•Pinch of coarse salt
•3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
•1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not over mix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.

Unknown said...

thanks shannon. I think I'll try the strawberry next week. I have strawberries in the freezer and egg whites left from the lemon filling today!

Choosing moments that matter... said...

My all time favorite kitchen tool...got to be the Kitchenaide mixer, whether Thanksgiving mashed potatoes and pie fillings or Christopher's chocolate chip cookies, my Kitchenaide has always been my favorite work horse in the kitchen. If only my other tools worked so hard!! Aunt Katie