Saturday, November 15, 2008

history


This is a picture of my grandma, my mothers mother, Jean. Yes that date is 1929. I am assuming that the arm peaking out is her mother Ester. We've spent some time recently looking through old pictures, this is not even close to the oldest one, we have pictures of my great-great grandma as a young woman, Mom Dueser was born in 1887. So like I said this isn't the oldest picture. I think it struck me because I'm pretty sure that the chair my grandma is sitting in is sitting in my mothers entry way right this very second. I hear people talk all the time about what they want, the silver, the china, the money the art, the stuff. For me it's things like this picture, and all I have is the scan. Now when I walk past that chair I will see my grandma sitting there just like in this picture. So for me the pictures, that's what I want. Even more than that I'd love to know who's in them. So my new project, other than getting them printed and in albums, is to put names and maybe even stories to every picture in my computer. And the little old things, I've got a ring that was my great great grandma's and when I think about the things it's been through and the strength of the hands that wore it, I feel stronger like I can do more than I could without it.
We were looking at old things at my grandmas one night and she pulled out some tiny old things. One of which was a button hook, you know like you used to button up shoes in the days when women wore high button up shoes. At first I thought it was bakelite, but it's older than bakelite, they thought it was tortoise shell. And it was my great great grandma's mothers they thought, and they think perhaps she got it from someone she worked for. How many hands, buttons shoes, mornings and dreams. It was warm when I held it in my hand like it held the warmth from all of them.
by the way, want to see more?

No comments: