Sunday, September 21, 2008

why shy?

Abbie's so shy, I'm not sure why. Ok, well maybe her mom & dad are shy. My friends don't believe me when I say that, but obviously they don't remember when they first met me, not when they first got to know me, but when they first met me. When I first started working with you, or seeing you at Abbie's school, or where ever it is I know you from. Really I am shy. I'm slow to warm up but once I'm warmed I'm hot. Rick is the same way, well unless you are holding a transmitter, then he doesn't care. But even people who have known him for years sometimes haven't heard him string together more than 5 or 6 sentences at a time. However, if you get to know him and get him talking about something he's interested in, he WON'T SHUT UP.

I think I missed out on a lot sitting back and doing nothing. How many things in highschool or college or since then could I have done better at if I was willing to jump right in. Even now, there are things I'm not doing or am not doing well enough because I'm hesitant.

I'm not sure why, we are just like that. And now so is Abbie. It hurts me to watch her in a new situation, something she REALLY wants to do but I can't help her do. I know I can't always help her, or be there next to her all the time, but it's so hard to know she wants to do something, but she's just not there yet. She's started dance. REALLY wants to go every Saturday, but then gets there and she can hardly join the circle. My dance teacher, joining was not a choice. We always said if we died before the next class prop us up next to the piano cause Audrey wasn't having any of that missing class stuff! Abbie's teacher is gentle and soft and doesn't make the kids do anything. Well a little of that is fine, but Saturday she didn't do ANYTHING with the rest of the class, and from what I could tell the teacher didn't even bother to try. I understand she's the shy one, I get it, really I do however I've worked with other "shy" ones and a little goes a long way. But with $30 for a six week session what can I expect.

So I know there's not a lot of comments, but what are your suggestions. Did you have a shy one? What did you do. It's not just dance, it's playing at the playground, with kids of friends, anywhere there are kids she doesn't really know. It's not just kids, cause I see LOTS of kids who just jump right in. She is the only one in her class who sits on the side. I just don't want her to miss out.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Hey Melissa-- I've found that some kids are observers and some kids are doers. I have one of each, so I like to think that it's something internal for each of them, rather than so much what I do. My older daughter is an observer. She likes to check everything out, understand the whole situation and then maybe she'll try something out.
Have you tried talking to your daughter's teacher? The teacher might be reluctant to be too active in getting your daughter to join in... parents have different styles and I'm sure she doesn't want to step on any toes (ha, get it? dance class? ;-)