Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thanksgiving

Not just the day but the feeling.....

We had my parents, sister, grandmother and Rick's sister up for thanksgiving. It was really nice and everything went well. It was the first Thanksgiving Rick and I have spent together in 11 or so years, which is as long as we've been back together. Normally he goes to an RC Car race, so he was checking it on line the entire time, but he was there.

Sometimes I forget all the things I have to be thankful for and then I read something or see something happening to a friend. On another blog about what you wanted for Chrsitmas that you won't really get people were posting things like wanting their kids to get out the whiny phase, really cool cars, free gas, all sorts of wonderful things, and then someone posted she just wanted her daughters back. They'd been killed the day after Thanksgiving in an accident. I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE, although I know more than one family who has actually been through this. That night while we were all sleeping a friend of mine who has been trying to have a baby fo 5 years had hers. Sounds like a dream right, well not a perfect dream. She'd been in the hospital for 2 weeks already just trying to give her son as many days possible, she'd sent us all and update saying they'd hit a milestone, 23 weeks, which means if the baby came they would actually try to save him. Well that night something happened and he came and they are trying to save him. I can't even imagine what a 23 week old baby looks like. I know how long he is and weighs and all that stuff, but how fragile and tiny, I can't even make a mental picture.

So while I'm sitting in my really nice new house worrying about being short on money, listening to Abbie's cough that is left over from double ear infections, hoping that both of our paid for cars will keep running, and wondering when I should go to the grocery store I am reminded I need to stop more often and be thankful. Thankful that although we are house poor we have a warm dry safe place to sleep, thankful that although Abbie is stubborn she is healthy and had the ability to function and be stubborn, thankful that I have a ride to get to the job that pays for the groceries I'm able to buy.

It's so easy to forget all this, especially at this time of the year. We are all running around trying to get the best gift, the right size, the color they'd asked for when we need to stop and just be glad there are people in our lives, and if the color isn't perfect we'll all still have more than a lot of people.

No comments: